052: How Building Trust Creates Effective Delegation with Dawn Smith
Go Listen on Apple, Spotify, or Your Favorite App!
In this episode, I'm interviewing Dawn Smith, a managing partner and trial attorney at Smith, Clinemith. (And with 2 lawyers chatting about trust... You might want to buckle in.) We're discussing Dawn's journey to becoming a lawyer and her work in nursing home litigation. You'll also hear us explore the importance of justice and dignity for the elderly and the role of coaching and reflection in personal and professional growth.
In this conversation, Dawn and I discuss the importance of taking time to reflect and align with your goals. We share our experiences with daily prayer meditation practices and finding flexibility in routines and emphasize the significance of showing gratitude and appreciation for others and building connections with trustworthy people.
We also found some time to discuss finding joy in simple pleasures, such as spending time with pets and cooking. We got to highlight the power of food to bring people together and the therapeutic nature of cooking. Finally, we talk about transitioning from fighting energy to relaxation and valuing the present moment.
Who is Dawn Smith?
Dawn Smith is a managing partner and trial attorney at Smith, Clinesmith. Dawn’s dream of becoming a lawyer solidified in her heart on an eighth-grade field trip to Washington D.C. While there, her group attended a session of the U.S. Supreme Court. The Lawyers stood at the front of a formal gallery surrounded by marble columns arguing passionately for their client’s rights– their voices raised to Justices perched high above in black robes. Unwavering, they fought to positively impact the lives of their clients with one voice and one day in court. At that moment it was clear, through the law one voice can touch many lives.
After representing many clients in an effort to make a difference, Dawn returned to Washington D.C. where her dreams were fulfilled in a way she never imagined. This time she stood at the front of the U.S. Supreme Court gallery, surrounded by marble columns, looking up toward all nine Justices in their black robes. Chief Justice John G. Roberts swore her in as a member of the U.S. Supreme Court Bar. Anything is possible for those who work hard and believe, which is a lesson that Dawn hopes to instill in her two children.
- Coaching and reflection are essential for personal and professional growth, and surrounding yourself with a supportive team is crucial for success.
- Taking time to reflect and prioritize tasks that align with your strengths and values can lead to greater fulfillment and success. Take time to reflect and align with your current goals.
- Start a daily prayer meditation practice to find peace and clarity.
- Find flexibility in your routines to accommodate your unique schedule.
Mic Drop Moments
- “In today's world, I feel it's increasingly difficult for people to stay in tune with their humanity and treating other people as human beings as well. And what you do really, like you said, helps the elderly of our community remain in their dignity.” – April Roberts
- “You have to know your team to be able to do that and you have to be able to give them what they need to grow into that position as well.” – Dawn Smith