030: Balancing Entrepreneurship & Parenthood as a Single Mom with Candace Parker
Go Listen on Apple, Spotify, or Your Favorite App!
Following society’s measures of success is a dangerous move: what feels like success to someone else might not feel the same way to you. And my guest today, Candace Parker, has taken every step of her life with this very notion in mind.
When she found herself becoming a single mom in her twenties, stuck in a corporate job that didn’t fulfill her, Candace knew something had to change. She finally understood that “time freedom” was her goal: to have time for self-growth, her business, her son, and travel.
After figuring out her “why”, she felt her life start to fall into place as she curated a life that felt authentic to her. Today, she’s sharing her best tips on navigating parenthood, starting a business, finding a supportive community, and learning to trust yourself and your process.
Who Is Candace Parker?
Candace Parker is a designer, businesswoman, and mom. Her business, Big Bunny Creative, emerged from a desire to have a career that allowed her to have the freedom to put her son first and have time for her personal growth.
Big Bunny Creative is a design and branding boutique that specializes in all things branding – valuable design, printing solutions, digital services, and developing strategy. They curate memorable brand experiences using consistent design & intentional merch products.
- Finding a job that aligns with your passions
- Raising a child as a single parent
- From working freelance to starting a business
- Finding a community to support you
- The problem with comparison on social media
- What is “time freedom?”
- The challenges of single parenthood
- Finding the space to be vulnerable
- Artificial Intelligence and the lack of human interaction
Giving Your Business a Name That Works for You
Mic Drop Moments
- “Find a community of people you can learn from, that will support you and help you. One you can ask questions because everyone starts somewhere.” — Candace Parker
- “People go on Instagram to escape reality; everyone is showing their highlight reels. But that’s not real life, and it’s really freaking hard sometimes.” — Candace Parker
- “My goal is not to be filthy rich, it’s to have time freedom and spend time with my family and go to the Bahamas. It’s important to be true to yourself and not get lost in narratives.” — Candace Parker
- “Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine.” ― Bob Carter
- “Focus on your goals, but one step at a time. Make sure you’re happy every step of the way.” — Candace Parker
- Big Bunny Creative
- Big Bunny Creative on Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn
- Candace Parker on LinkedIn | Instagram |
- Beckie Kullberg